Costa Rica Blog
Home
Costa Rica Blog
,

Costa Rica Snake Refuge & Rehabilitation Center Opens to Public

Costa Rica Sanke Refuge in San Jose
Click Image for Activities for Costa Rica Family Vacations

Costa Rica, the popular tropical vacation destination, is home to a variety of slithering snakes and roaming reptiles. Ever wanted to get up close and personal with a python or a poisonous Bushmaster? At the newly opened Refugio Herpetológico de Costa Rica, located in Santa Ana just outside of San Jose, withness these incredible animals without worrying for your safety.

Click here and book your stay at one of our beautiful jungle villas!

 

Rodolfo Vargas, a biologist whose specialty is herpetology (the study of snakes and reptiles), opened the refuge as a place to care for, and eventually release, injured snakes and reptiles in Costa Rica. It should be noted that the Refuge is not a zoo—about 60% of the animals taken in by the refuge are cared for and released back into the wild again. For the other 40%, they will live out their lives happily cared for, since they cannot survive on their own.

Because the refuge receives no funding from the government of Costa Rica, Vargas hopes to support the refuge’s rising costs by Crocodile at Herpetological Refuge of Costa Rica charging admission and inviting visitors to take a look at the amazing snakes and reptiles of Costa Rica.  Among the variety of animals at the refuge are: boa constrictors, coral snakes, tiger snakes, bushmasters, and even rattle snakes.  Other permanent residents of the center include a rescued iguana named Cesar, a crocodile that has had its front claws removed, a rescued spider monkey, and a rescued squirrel monkey.

The Herpetological Refuge of Costa Rica also boasts a fantastic gift shop filled with fascinating goodies sure to entertain your kids on your family vacation in Costa Rica. The Refuge truly is the perfect stop for snake and reptile-lovers visiting Costa Rica.

Our response to COVID-19

Dear Guest,

Please note that we have adapted and are currently following the WHO and Costa Rican Ministry of Health guidelines on sanitation and social distancing

  1. Our host receiving you will always practice social distancing.
  2. There will always be alcohol in the gel by the front door entrance for you to use at any time.
  3. All of our housekeeping and maintenance staff will always be wearing facemasks.
  4. The home is completely disinfected right before guests arrive and just after guests leave.
  5. The villa is private for just your group, you will not be sharing any spaces with strangers.

Have a SAFE vacation