The latest travel survey on TripAdvisor asked participants which theyâ€™d prefer:Â a vacation rental or hotel?Â According to the results published on April 10, 49% of respondents have already stayed in or are planning to vacation in a house rental this year. This figure is up from 40% percent in 2011, showing that rental properties continue to be the accommodation of choice among savvy U.S. travelers.Â Survey participants cited many factors that made holiday rentals more attractive than your traditional hotel, with over half saying a beachfront villa was their preferred type of rental â€“ especially when traveling with extended family.
Costa Rica vacation: beach rental or hotel?
The survey polled more than more than 1,300 U.S. travelers, who agreed that vacation rentals offered more bang for your buck and were a great alternative to a hotel stay. The following were named as reasons why tourists prefer villas over a hotel:
- Last-minute deals (82 percent)
- Financial savings (82 percent)
- Traveling with a large group (19 percent)
- More living space (15 percent)
- Booking a vacation for one week or longer (11 percent)
Vacation rental perks
When planning your family vacation in Costa Rica, you want to ensure everyone has space, privacy and all the creature comforts of home.Â Travelers told TripAdvisor they appreciate the unique offerings of vacation properties, and these were the attributes they most admired:
- Access to a fully equipped kitchen and/or laundry room (31 percent)
- More living space (27 percent)
- Homey feel (10 percent)
- More family-friendly (10 percent)
- Low prices (seven percent)